- 1988 Case Western Reserve University (Ph.D.-Materials Science (Glass))
- 1981 Seoul National University (M.S.-Metallurgical Engineering)
- 1979 Seoul National University (B.S.-Metallurgical Engineering)
- 2002 – Present GIST, Professor
- 1998 – 2002 GIST, Associate Professor
- 1991 – 1998 Korea Institute of Industrial Technology, Principal Researcher and Director
- 1988 – 1991 Center for Glass Science and Technology, RPI, Research Associate Fellow
- 1981 – 1984 Dong-A University, Full-time Instructor
- Development of new glasses and optical fibers for photonics applications
- Fiber gratings, lasers, and amplifiers for WDM systems
- Nonlinear optical fibers and devices
- Glass fibers and fiber lasers for medical applications
- Glass processing with FHD, MCVD, sol-gel, and ion-exchange
- The Specialty Optical Fibers Technologies(SOFT) LabThe specialty optical fibers technologies laboratory primarily concerns with development of high performance optical fibers and new glasses for photonics applications.
Glass fibers doped with various rare-earth ions and transition metal ions are being developed for photonic devices such as optical amplifier with wide bandwidth, wavelength converter, fiber gratings, fiber isolator, all-optical fiber switch, and so on.
New manufacturing processes are being developed for fibers with nonlinear optical functions particularly, fibers doped with semiconductor quantum dots and nano-sized metal particles. Planar optical devices are also studied using flame hydrolysis deposition process. The laboratory is equipped with a MCVD system for glass preform manufacturing, a fiber draw tower, and measurement systems for optical properties such as OSA, PL, OPO, TRSS, FTIR Microscopy. There are three research groups which are related to the works on high performance optical fibers for gratings and lasers, doped fibers and PLCs with high nonlinear optical properties, and glass and optical fiber processings and characterization.High Performance Optical Fibers for Gratings and Lasers
The increases in UV sensitivity and in thermal stability are the important requirements for the grating application, so fibers with new glass compositions and dopants are developed and their characteristics and the processing parameters are studied. Fiber lasers for optical communications and medical applications are being developed.
Doped Fibers and PLCs with Nonlinear Optical Properties
Rare-earth doped fibers and PLCs for isolators and switches are designed and fabricated. New technique is employed to dope quantum dots in the core and nonlinear optical properties and device characteristics are also investigated. Processing parameters to obtain optimal condition upon MCVD process and FHD process are studied. Glasses containing nano-sized quantum dots of semiconductors and metals are also being developed for all-optical switch and optical phase conjugation application.
Glass and Optical Fiber Processings and Characterization
Glass processings such as melt-quench method, sol-gel, and ion-exchange are used for making optical glasses, preforms, and planar devices. Optical, thermal, mechanical, structural, and chemical properties are measured and characterized to develop better optical fibers and glasses for photonics applications. Transmission, fluorescence, luminescence, dispersion, crystallization, thermal stability, viscosity, microstructure, phase separation, water diffusion and so on are characterized by instruments such as OSA, PL, OPO, TRSS, FTIR Microscopy, OTDR, TGA/DSC, XRD, SAXS, SEM and TEM etc.